The wonder of Halloween is all about having fun, enjoying the smiling faces of our little ones and maybe stealing a treat or two after the night is through. Here are some tips to keep your little monsters safe this Halloween and some events around Edmonton that you can enjoy with your family.
Halloween Safety Tips
- When you purchase or make your costumes this year, make sure that you also pick up some items that help your child “be seen”. Using or adding reflectors strips, glow sticks, or even attaching a flashlight to their bag will make it easier for others (especially drivers) to see them.
- Masks are often a “one size fits all” that may not really work well for keeping your kids vision open to all the hustle and bustle going on around them. Using face paint can help them get into character without sacrificing their sight.
- Making up an information card and attaching it to part of your child’s costume can be a great way to keep them safe if they somehow get lost or wander off.
- If your child has a cell phone, ensure it is fully charged before they leave and turn on “find my iPhone” or a similar app.
- If your children are old enough to go out with a group of friends, make sure you are aware of where they are going and possible routes they may take. Have a plan if they get separated from the group and an agreed time to return home.
- When in doubt, throw it out – Always be sure to go through all of your child’s candy before letting them dig in. We’ve all heard horror stories online of what people have found in their haul so take 15 minutes and go through their candy and make sure everything is sealed properly and that anything homemade is from someone you know.
If the weather is iffy and you want to take the Trick or Treating party indoors, here are some great events around the city that you can enjoy:
- The World’s largest Trick or Treat Festival at West Edmonton Mall
- Spooky Night – Halloween Trick or Treat at Millwoods Town Centre
- Truck or Treat at Vantage Point Community Church
We can all remember feeling the anticipation and excitement of Halloween! The candy, the costumes and the parties – it was such an exciting week. To add to the excitement this year, we’re running a Costume Contest with an awesome prize! To enter, follow this link and submit your best Halloween Costume Photo and vote for your chance to win a $100 Gift Card to Cineplex!